This is one of my go-to recipes. I believe that it is one of the most nourishing, digestible and healing meals you can make. It is a beef broth based soup. This recipe isn’t a recipe that you follow exactly, but it’s a template to make your own version of beef broth soup. You can use a lot of freedom with the recipe and add ingredients you want and can feel free to take out ingredients that may not be your favorite.
Our bodies are dynamic healing machines. But our bodies can only heal and function to the best of their ability based on the availability of energy and how much interference is present. What causes interference is STRESS. Stress is both physical, mental and chemical. More stress = less function. That means the more stress our bodies have, from any source, decreases our abilities to do all of our physiological functions. Guess what, food can be a source of stress. On the same token, food can also be used to decrease other sources of stress. I believe that beef broth soup is one of the best healing and stress reducing meals you can make.
One of the things I love about the beef broth soup is that it combines beef broth and cooked vegetables. I am a major proponent of cooked vegetables for digestive health. There are many people who promote a highly raw food diet, especially when it comes to raw veggies. I agree but only to a degree. If your digestive system is compromised and you are under stress, then raw veggies are going to be very hard to break down and are a major stressor to your GI. Also, if you suffer from Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO) then you will do very poorly all together with raw veggies. The main indicator of SIBO is GI symptoms (cramping, bloating, churning, gas) about 30 minutes after eating a meal. Raw veggies make SIBO worse because they start to ferment in your small intestine, which is not a normal digestive function. You do not want foods fermenting in the small intestine. Foods that are well cooked (especially veggies) will help that. One major tool in helping to heal your digestive system is to cut out raw veggies and eat your veggies steamed, ideally, or baked or roasted.
If my gut ever flares up, I do a version of this soup every dinner for 1-2 weeks. It helps calm down inflammation, can partially reset the microbiome of your gut, and allows for better nutrient absorption and nourishes your cells.
You can customize this recipe for as many people as you are serving. I make 1-2 servings often, but have also made this recipe for many people
– Starting out, you are going to need beef broth. You can find the recipe here to make it.
– Next, you will need a protein. Your meat will be pre-cooked. I use about 1/4-1/3 pound per person. I recommend using:
1. Organic and free-range chicken, diced
2. Grass-fed ground beef
3. Organic and free-range turkey, shredded
4. Grass-fed beef roast
– Following the meat, you will need vegetables. You can really use any vegetable here. I will list some of my favorites:
5. Sweet Potato
9. Root Vegetable (turnip, parsnip)
12. I believe any vegetable in any combination will work well
– Once the soup is cooked thoroughly I always use “Add-In’s”
1. Coconut Oil: I use 1-2 Tablespoons per person
2. Salt and Pepper: Season to taste. Feel free to use any spices in the soup
3. Avocado: This is a beef broth soup must for me. I use a half to a whole avocado on the top of my soup
4. Cheese: I often times top my soup with some organic raw cheese
5. Sour Cream: My husband loves sour cream as an addition to his broth soups
- In a saucepan add the protein and raw vegetables. Add enough beef broth* to fill halfway to the top of the vegetables
- Put the cover on the pan and turn the stove to high and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, turn the temperature to low, keeping the pan covered
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are steamed and cooked through
- Scoop into a bowl (or bowls) and top with the “Add In’s”
- Enjoy the amazing taste and healing benefits of this beef broth soup
*You can also use chicken broth
Join Dr. Meghan's Newsletter
Like what you're reading and don't want to miss out on anything? I get it! I'm going to send you tips and trick right to your inbox to kickstart your health!