So we’ve all heard of peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter and even sunflower seed butter. But is coconut butter a new thing for you? If you would have asked me a year ago what coconut butter was I wouldn’t have been as well versed in it as I am now. Once I tried coconut butter I fell in love. Buying the pre-made coconut butter is extremely convenient, but it is also pretty pricey. I decided this week to try and make my own. And it’s easy. Like, one of the easiest things you will make this week! I will always make it myself from now on!
Before I tell you how to make coconut butter, let me tell you what coconut butter is. It is ground unsweetened shredded coconut. When it is ground up it forms a thick butter. Just like nut or seed butters. I have been using coconut butter in my baking lately. It works great as a frosting. And, because I don’t eat grains, I don’t spread it on bread or toast. I have been known to eat a spoonful or two by itself or mixed in with peanut butter. Sometimes you just need a good kick of healthy fats!
Here are a few fun ideas to use coconut butter:
1. You can drizzle it warmed on fruit
2. Mix it into chocolate for fudge (melted, of course)
3. Add it to yogurt and cocoa powder for a quick chocolate pudding
4. Drizzle it warmed on grain-free pancakes or waffles
5. Use it as frosting on cookies or cupcakes (Try my pumpkin cookies here)
6. And like I said above… eat it by the spoonful with a nut butter for an extra fast boost or kick if you need it
3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a high powered blender or food processor add the 3 cups of shredded coconut
- Turn the blender or food processor on high and process until it turns into butter.
- In the blender it will take about 60-90 seconds and I used the tamper to push the coconut down to push into the blades
- In the food processor, turning it into butter is going to take longer. It will take between 5-10 minutes. You may need to take a break or two and take a spatula and scrape down the sides
- Store in a glass container. 3 cups of shredded coconut will yield 1 cup of coconut butter
Join Dr. Meghan's Insiders
Don't miss out on anything! Join my healthy living newsletter for encouragement right to your inbox to kickstart your health in a simplified way!