Grain Free + Granola = too good to be true??
I have got to tell you, this recipe tastes too good to be true, but isn’t. This WILL fill your need for cereal or granola when doing a grain-free diet. It tastes just like regular granola and can be used to top yogurt, top berries and cream/coconut cream or eat plain with coconut milk. I like to add a dash of organic cream to mine to make it extra good.
Granola is one of my top favorite foods. It has also, in the past, been a food that when I started eating it I couldn’t stop eating it. It’s like my version of pringles: Once you pop you can’t stop. So I decided that I wasn’t going have any granola in my house, which was for the better but I still missed it. Plus, most traditional granolas are full of gluten, hydrogenated oils and lots and lots of sugar. Many of them are so far from a health food. They can contain more sugar than some desserts, we just don’t think of granola in that way. We have been trained to think “health food”. I want you to show you a recipe for granola that you can eat whenever you want. I’m so happy to have it back in my house again.
This recipe has a lot of coconut oil (healthy fat) and no grains. It contains almost every nut and seed known to man, hense the name Everything but the Kitchen Sink. When all of the flavors combine, it’s heavenly. No particular nut or seed’s flavor comes to the forefront, the flavors merry perfectly.
If you remember, I have a gluten-free granola recipe on this blog. (You can find the recipe Here). That recipe I still love and consider healthy if your body can handle eating grains. Now you have two options.
First Things First, this recipe looks very overwhelming, but don’t worry. It’s quite easy and very forgiving. Don’t stress about all of the ingredients. Take it one step at a time (double the recipe to make more and get more bang for your buck) and you will realize you’ve got this. If you have any leftovers, freeze in an airtight container or plastic storage bag.
I want to give a few substitutions before my recipe to help people out who may have other diet restrictions. If you are not doing any forms of unrefined sugar, omit the honey and increase the coconut oil to 3/4 cup and the stevia to 1 1/2 teaspoons. If you eat quinoa, you can add 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa when you add the the sesame seeds and omit 1/2 cup of any of the nuts.
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3 Tablespoons chia seeds
2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Stevita stevia
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2-3/4 cup raisins (optional, and to your taste)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
- In a food processor, add cashews, almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, pecans and walnuts. Pulse until the nuts and seeds combine to the size of a grain, like oatmeal or buckwheat. These are going to act as your “grain” in this recipe. It is your base, so you don’t want big pieces of nuts in this part of the granola
- Add the nut mixture from the food processor into a large bowl. Add the sesame seeds, chia seeds, coconut, salt, stevia and cinnamon and mix together with a spatula
- Heat the coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan on medium until melted and combined
- Pour over the nut and seeds and mix together with a spatula. If you need additional mixing, just use your clean hands. Sometimes they work better. Add the almond and vanilla extract and stir one more time
- Take out two cookie sheets and add 1/2 of the granola to each sheet evenly. It doesn’t work very well on one cookie sheet
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes and switching the racks each cookie sheet is on. You want them to bake and brown evenly
- Once the granola is cooled stir in the raisins
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature
Join Dr. Meghan's Insiders
Like what you're reading and don't want to miss out on anything? I'm going to send you tips and trick right to your inbox to kickstart your health in a simplified way!