I loved Jell-O growing up. And I loved the super crazy sugar flavors too like strawberry lemonade and blue raspberry. Can you say artificial color bomb? Oh and sugar bomb? But I’m not talking Jell-O or gummies without a good purpose. You can make your own Jell-O or gummies in your kitchen without the sugar, without the articficial chemicals and on top of all of that, they are healthy too!
I like to be able to use essential oils when I can in my home, cooking included. These gummies aren’t super sweet, but they do combine two of my favorite flavors: ginger and lemon. I used Young Living Lemon Vitality Essential Oil along with juicing my ginger fresh. It is the most potent and flavorful that way. If you have a juicer take the extra time to freshly juice ginger. If you don’t have a juicer you can find ginger juice. Make sure there is no added sugar and this will work well in the recipe.
When you are putting together the gummies I wait until the last step to add the lemon oil. That way it’s not heated too much and it maintains all of its properties and pure lemon flavor. The second reason I wait to add the lemon oil is because if you blend the gummies you don’t want lemon oil in plastic. It should only be in glass (it can eat the chemicals in plastic leaching them into your water). I always give the plastic tip when using citrus oils.
Now jump back into your childhood and go make some gummies!
3 cups filtered water
2 Tbs fresh ginger juice (or bought, check for added sugar)
1 Tablespoon Stevita spoonable stevia (or to taste)
3 1/2 Tablespoons grass fed gelatin (learn more here)
10-12 drops Lemon Vitality Young Living Essential Oil (find here)
- In a medium sized saucepan heat the water and ginger juice on medium. Once warm, stir in the stevia until dissolved
- Fill a small bowl with the grass-fed gelatin and add 1/2 cup water to dissolve the gelatin. It should become very thick. Add more water if needed to fully dissolve the gelatin
- Heat the ginger water to a simmer. Do not boil or the gelatin will lose its ability to gel
- Stir the thickened gelatin into the ginger water and stir until combined. If there are still small pieces of gelatin you can blend together with an immersion blender. (I usually do this). If you don’t have an immersion blender a regular blender will work too
- Remove from heat and add the vitality lemon oil and stir to mix in
- Pour into a 8×8 pan or silicone molds and refrigerate until it gels
- Store in the refrigerator
Join Dr. Meghan's Insiders
Don't miss out on anything! Join my healthy living newsletter for encouragement right to your inbox to kickstart your health in a simplified way!