So we’ve all heard of peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter and even sunflower seed butter. But is coconut butter a new thing for you? If you would have asked me a year ago what coconut butter was I wouldn’t have been as well versed in it as I am now. Once I tried coconut butter I fell in love. Buying the pre-made coconut butter is extremely convenient, but it is also pretty pricey. I decided this week to try and make my own. And it’s easy. Like, one of the easiest things you will make this week! I will always make it myself from now on!
Before I tell you how to make coconut butter, let me tell you what coconut butter is. It is ground unsweetened shredded coconut. When it is ground up it forms a thick butter. Just like nut or seed butters. I have been using coconut butter in my baking lately. It works great as a frosting. And, because I don’t eat grains, I don’t spread it on bread or toast. I have been known to eat a spoonful or two by itself or mixed in with peanut butter. Sometimes you just need a good kick of healthy fats!
Here are a few fun ideas to use coconut butter:
1. You can drizzle it warmed on fruit
2. Mix it into chocolate for fudge (melted, of course)
3. Add it to yogurt and cocoa powder for a quick chocolate pudding
4. Drizzle it warmed on grain-free pancakes or waffles
5. Use it as frosting on cookies or cupcakes (Try my pumpkin cookies here)
6. And like I said above… eat it by the spoonful with a nut butter for an extra fast boost or kick if you need it
3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a high powered blender or food processor add the 3 cups of shredded coconut
- Turn the blender or food processor on high and process until it turns into butter.
- In the blender it will take about 60-90 seconds and I used the tamper to push the coconut down to push into the blades
- In the food processor, turning it into butter is going to take longer. It will take between 5-10 minutes. You may need to take a break or two and take a spatula and scrape down the sides
- Store in a glass container. 3 cups of shredded coconut will yield 1 cup of coconut butter
Join Dr. Meghan's Insiders
Like what you're reading and don't want to miss out on anything? I'm going to send you tips and trick right to your inbox to kickstart your health in a simplified way!