These cookies are inspired by a cowboy cookie recipe I saw online. A traditional cowboy cookie has pecans, oatmeal, pretzels, brown sugar and flour. I wanted to create my own grain free version of a cowboy cookie that has some sweetness along with the salty that comes from the nuts. I named my cookies in honor of the original cowboy cookie. My recipe is below.
These cookies taste like they contain dates because they have a depth of sweetness to them, but they don’t contain any dates. They only have stevia and raw honey for the sweetener. I also put in a banana and some peanut butter which gives the cookie a different texture than a traditional grain-free cookie. The cookie, because of the chopped nuts, doesn’t take on the flavor of bananas or peanut butter. All of the flavors mix together perfectly! I will mention something fun about the peanut butter that we used… it was homemade. Yep, we busted out the VitaMix and created homemade peanut butter. It was super easy, all you do is blend 3 cups of organic dry roasted, unsalted peanuts. I added about a 1/2 teaspoon salt and you blend on high for about 45-60 seconds until it makes yummy, creamy, delicious peanut butter. It makes about 1 cup- 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter. It’s so smooth and has such a sweet flavor. Homemade peanut butter is one of the sweetest flavored peanut butter I’ve ever had that doesn’t contain sugar or a hydrogenated oils. We are going to keep this up and make our own peanut butter from now on.
Here’s a picture of the peanut butter in the blender.
Now on to the coookies. I wanted to list a few substitutions. If you aren’t doing raw honey, just omit it and add 3 Tablespoons more peanut butter and 1/2 teaspoon more stevia to make up for the difference. If you want to make it egg free, you can omit the egg and create a flax or chia egg for it. A flax egg consists of 1 Tablespoon of Flax or Chia seeds ground in a coffee grinder mixed with 3 Tablespoons of water and you let it sit for 15 minutes. That takes the place of 1 egg.
1 stick organic butter, soft
1 banana, ripe
1/4 cup organic creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup raw honey
1 teaspoon Stevita stevia
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup raw almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl add the wet ingredients: butter, banana, peanut butter, egg, honey, stevia and vanilla and mix together with a hand mixer until completely combined
- In a blender or food processor, rough chop the nuts so they are in bite-sized little chunks
- In a small bowl combine together the dry ingredients: coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, pecans and almonds and toss with your hand to mix them together
- Add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix on low with a hand mixer until they are completely combined
- Using a cookie scoop, or about 2 Tablespoons of dough, drop 12 cookies per sheet and press down flat with your hand. The cookies will stay in the same shape while baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Take off the cookie sheet and let cool. Store in an airtight container at room temp or in the fridge
- Makes about 24-26 cookies
Join Dr. Meghan's Insiders
Don't miss out on anything! Join my healthy living newsletter for encouragement right to your inbox to kickstart your health in a simplified way!