I’m not the biggest fan of spicy food, but I do like a little bit of kick here and there. The other night I was deciding what flavor of turkey burgers we were going to have for dinner. I love turkey burgers because you can add so much flavor to the meat, which isn’t quite the same with beef.
Phil and I were grocery shopping and tag teaming the different sections of the grocery store. He had the produce section and I guess the jalapeños were super tiny. So he got about 6 of them, just in case I needed that many. Well, I didn’t need quite 6 for a recipe later in the week. That left me with about 3 extra jalapeños to do something with.
Why not add the jalapeños to the turkey burgers? But I decided to kick it up one more notch and make a juicy-lucy-type turkey burger stuffed with chopped jalapeños and 2 different types of cheese.
These burgers have just the right amount of spice but won’t cause you to break out in a sweat. Just my kind of spice.
Jalapeño Cheese Mixture
Assembling the Burgers: the one in the top right is already stuffed with cheese
1 pound ground turkey (it is best used with dark meat turkey, ground turkey breast is a little dry for burgers)
1 jalapeño, finely chopped (take the seeds out for a less spicy burger)
2 ounces goat cheese
2 ounces cheddar cheese, raw and shredded
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper on both sides of the turkey burgers once they are assembled
- In a small bowl combine the jalapeño, goat cheese, cheddar cheese and garlic powder and mix until combined with a fork. You will divide this mixture in 4 parts and form small balls of cheese. You may have a little extra cheese mixture if you have a little less than a pound of meat. You don’t want to over stuff them. The extra is amazing in an omelet the next morning
- Split the ground turkey into 4 even parts and slightly flatten each piece into the shape of a patty, but a little thinner
- Place a cheese ball into the center of the turkey patty and with your hands form a turkey burger patty completely covering the cheese with the turkey. This is important so the cheese doesn’t leak out when you cook it. Do this with the remaining 3 burgers
- Season both sides of the turkey burgers with salt and pepper
- Grill the turkey burgers or cook in a skillet over medium high heat until completely cooked through. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side