This recipe is a long time coming… like at least 3 years in the making. I have always wanted to make BBQ sauce but have never gotten around to actually doing it. Most conventional BBQ sauces are full of unhealthy and toxic ingredients: high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), MSG and for sure loads of sugar. So the best way to have a refined sugar-free BBQ sauce is to avoid the store bought stuff and make your own. It’s easier than you think. It takes about 10 minutes to throw together and then more time just to simmer away.
This is a primal BBQ sauce, meaning it has butter! (Yummy, fatty, healing butter). Butter in BBQ sauce, oh yeah! Throw in tomatoes, some spices and simmer and you have a quart of BBQ sauce to use on whatever you want. Perfect!
3 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
1/4 cup onion
26 ounces tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 Tablespoons organic yellow mustard
3 Tablespoons raw honey*
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder (more or less for your spice level)
* If you want a sugar-free BBQ sauce, omit the raw honey or replace it with 1 teaspoon of Stevita stevia
- In a blender or food processor add the garlic cloves, quarter of an onion and tomato sauce. Blend until everything is completely mixed together, about 30 seconds
- Pour the tomato mixture into a medium saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Add the butter and stir with a wooden spoon until melted
- Add the mustard, raw honey, apple cider vinegar and spices and mix until everything is combined. Put the cover on and bring to a light boil
- Once the sauce starts to bubble, turn the heat to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes (longer for a thicker sauce)
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for 7 days and use on top of baked chicken or in any dish calling for BBQ sauce
Join Dr. Meghan's Just Enjoy Health Newsletter
Like what you're reading and don't want to miss out on anything? I get it! I never want to miss out, and by subscribing, you don't have to. I'm going to send you tips and trick right to your inbox to kickstart your health!