One of my favorite things to make are smoothies. I have been eating one a day for the last month. I seriously can’t get enough of them. I love the taste of smoothies, but I also love that I can customize them and load them full of healthy ingredients. How often do you eat smoothies? Are you as addicted to them as me?
Here are a couple of reasons why I love smoothies:
- You can jam pack a lot of ingredients and nutrients into one smoothie
- You can “hide” almost any ingredient or flavor (supplements or nutrients)
- You can make a smoothie in many flavors. For example, berry smoothie, chocolate peanut butter, pumpkin spice, tropical. Really, you can make it any way you want
- They are easy to digest. Smoothies are blended and are great for people with digestive issues because it is easy on the GI tract
- They are quick to make and easy to take on the road (put them in a thermos to keep them cold for longer)
This recipe for my Super Healing, Super Fat Smoothie is not as much of a recipe as it is a template to build your own smoothie. I will give you the building blocks and you can add or take ingredients out to your liking or your needs.
Your “milk” base: Unsweetened almond milk, canned coconut milk, raw milk, grass-fed kefir
Your fats: Coconut oil, chia seeds, avocado, raw egg(s)
Fruit: Berries, green apple, half of a banana (All Organic)
Greens: Spinach, lettuce, kale, cucumber, celery (All Organic)
Add Ice if needed
- A smoothie is pretty easy to put together. You can pretty throw it all together and blend it up!
- There are a couple of tips I will share to make it easier: Always start with liquid at the bottom of the blender and build your smoothie on top of that. If you start with powders, they will get stuck in the bottom and not blend together well
- Add ice if you want it thicker and colder
- There’s no real way to mess up a smoothie. If if doesn’t taste great after your first blend, add a few more ingredients until you get it just right
What is my favorite smoothie right now?
Canned coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, coconut oil (about 2 Tablespoons), chia seeds (1 Tablespoon), raspberries, strawberries, fresh spinach (2 handfuls), grass-fed whey protein (1 scoop) , gelatin( 2 teaspoons), probiotics (1-3 emptied capsules) and stevia (to taste)
This smoothie will keep me full for 4-6 hours depending on how much fat I put in it. It’s the perfect lunch for me before I start work. It gets me through the afternoon (when many of us need a snack) and keeps me very satisfied until dinner time.
This smoothie is full of amazing healing ingredients. It is also full of healthy and nourishing fat. I realized that even though I thought I was eating a lot of fat, I wasn’t getting enough coconut oil into my diet. I have noticed an amazing change when eating 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. My digestive system feels healthier, I think more clearly, my body has more energy and I am able to recover after exercise quicker! And I know that I can directly correlate the changes back to eating more coconut oil. Don’t forget to put coconut oil into your smoothie!
Tell me when you make a fun smoothie and which ingredients you used
Join Dr. Meghan's Newsletter
Like what you're reading and don't want to miss out on anything? I get it! I'm going to send you tips and trick right to your inbox to kickstart your health!